Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Blackeyed Peas with Ham Hocks and Greens


I have roots in the south. I think that is part of why I like things like this....and biscuits and gravy for breakfast.
For the Peas: Place 1 lb of dried blackeyed peas in the slow cooker with 7 C water and an onion and a ham hock. Actually, any kind of pork will work; salt pork, bacon, etc. The legend goes that you should not salt beans and peas until they are done because salting when they are raw makes them tough. Cook the peas until tender. Remove the ham hock, shred the meat and add it back to the peas.
For the greens: Pictured is Swiss Chard, which is my favorite but I also like Collard and Beet greens. I steam the gently so they don't get overdone and serve them with vinegar and Tabasco.
Cornbread makes a nice combination. In this case I had rye bread.
I like beer with this although iced tea is nice too.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


advancecash.info